Saturday, 8 May 2010

Persian weave chainmaille bracelets and necklaces

The Persian chainmaille weave is a bit of a historical misnomer - there is no evidence that it comes from Persia, nor indeed anywhere around there. It's a modern weave, invented for jewellery-making, rather than having been used to make armour, though you can make sheets of some of the Half-Persian weaves.

The most common Persian weaves are Half Persian 4-in-1 (a Half Persian 4-in-1 bracelet tutorial can be found here), Half Persian 3-in-1, and Full Persian 6-in-1. These are all so named because of the number of rings each ring goes through.

This weave looks particularly good in square wire rings, as you can see in the pictures that follow.

Stainless steel Half Persian 4-in-1 chainmaille bracelet:
HP 4-in-1

Copper Half Persian 4-in-1 chainmaille bracelet:
Copper HP 4-in-1 bracelet

Copper Half Persian 3-in-1 chainmaille bracelet:
Copper HP 3-in-1 bracelet

Stainless steel Half Persian 3-in-1 chainmaille bracelet:
Half-Persian 3-in-1 stainless steel bracelet

"Princess of Persia" - Half Persian 3-in-1 bright aluminium chainmaille bracelet:

"Persian Blue" - Full Persian 6-in-1 copper chainmaille necklace with sodalite:
Persian blue - Full Persian 6-in-1 copper chainmaille necklace with sodalite

2 comments:

  1. Your pieces are absolutely beautiful. I love chaainmaille jewelry and make some myself. I especially like full Persian and half Persian weaves. The squared rings really add to the piece. I purchased some stainless steel squared rings but haven't yet had the time to use them. You've inspired me to make the time. thank you

    penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Penny! I love square rings, I really think they give the Persian weaves a modern twist!

    Best of luck with your work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...