Friday, 28 May 2010

Stainless steel men's Byzantine chainmaille bracelet

This stainless steel square wire chainmaille bracelet sold while I was sleeping, and I relisted it this morning. As it's made to order, I thought it might be interesting to take photos of each step as I go along. Then you can see what goes into making one of these bracelets. You also get to see the horrible tablecloth (it came with our flat) that I work on when I'm working inside.

The rings are made from 1.3mm stainless steel square wire, and are the same rings used to make this men's European 4 in 1 chainmaille bracelet.

100_5879

I start by closing lots of rings and putting them in pairs.
100_5881

Then I put two rings through each pair of closed rings, making a 2-in-2 pattern.
100_5882 100_5885

Then the pairs are linked in the Byzantine weave, until I've reached the required length.
100_5887 100_5888 100_5889 100_5890 100_5891

When I get to the length I need, I add a clasp. Because of the corners on the wire, my square wire rings won't go through the clasp - so I've used a single round wire stainless steel ring of the same thickness to attach the clasp.
100_5895

And done!
100_5896
I hope the new owner likes it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...